Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Too Amused to Learn

Most of my students would not recognize the reasoning behind the use of two different words - to and too - in the title (nor would they necessarily remember the third form in this sentence). If they could explain it, they would still be hard pressed to distinguish between an infinitive use of "to" and a prepositional use of the same word.
They simply can't absorb grammar. They are having too much fun - I mean - 2 mch fn - with their constant companions, their dearly beloved, their cell phones. When I started teaching, cell phones were - well - phones. People used them to call one another, and that generally did not occur during class. Now, they do it all, and the more the phones do, the commensurately less the students seem able to accomplish.
I am a tech savvy person. I help students create a yearbook using digital photography and computer generated layouts. I can handle almost any trick my smartboard is able to dish out. But I can't compete with the innate fascination of the cell phone. I can't compete, nor do I really want to.
So that's it. We're through, I mean threw, I mean thru...

No comments:

Post a Comment