Saturday, September 1, 2012

Seriously…Some Dirt IS Younger than I


When you teach 15-year-olds, as I do, the generation gap is glaringly obvious on a routine basis. As yearbook adviser, I chuckle at teachers who obsess over how their pictures will appear in print. To our target audience of 14-19 year-olds, anyone with the least hint of smile lines or crows’ feet is hopelessly over-the-hill, so why worry about whether the camera captured your very best angle?
However, over the last few years another insidious gap has crept into the high school I call home base. The administration’s preference for “moldable” candidates in concert with the budgetary preference for teachers at the lowest rung of the salary scale have combined to produce an influx of teachers who share more cultural memories with my children than they share with me.
It’s always been the case in education that any given school would have a mix of teachers varying in age and experience, but the pendulum has shifted lately, and the bell curve at my school is no longer smooth and balanced. Instead, it bulges at the lower end, peaking at approximately age 30, and making a rapid descent thereafter.
Spending my days mingling with more than 1900 teenagers as well as dozens of colleagues who have yet to experience their 10th high school reunion, my own advancing age is a realization that cannot help but slap me “upside the head.” So, as I spend my weekends trying to clean my house before another school week begins, I do stop now and then to recognize my affinity with the dirt I’m trying to sweep. Here’s to you dirt - we’re both really, really old.

No comments:

Post a Comment