Saturday, December 3, 2011

Reach for the Stars...and the Vacuum


I’m training my younger boys to clean up. While raising my older three kids, I did most of the cleaning. I ran a home daycare business, and cleaning up kind of seemed like part of the job description. When I started teaching mid-way through Elyse’s fourth grade year, I did not immediately conscript the kids into service (the boys were in 6th and 8th grade at the time, and I guess it was one of those deals where I thought it would be easier just to do it myself). Eventually, they all learned to do their own laundry, mostly because I refused to corral it off the floors in order to get it in the washer.
Now, older and wiser, I try to have Trevor and Austin help out every week, even if it means I spend more time insisting than they actually spend cleaning. Their job is to dust so I can vacuum. They aren’t the most thorough cleaners one could “hire,” but at least they’re getting the idea that maintaining the house is not 100% my territory, and they’ll make better husbands for it someday. 
When I was growing up, the assumption that cleaning was women’s work was definitely part of the atmosphere, and even though my husband is a “stay-at-home” dad right now, he’s quick to inform me that that doesn’t make him “a housewife,” so apparently he grew up breathing the same poisonous, pre-feminist fumes.
 I was very careful to name all my kids names that would be comfortable on an executive desk-plate. When I read them books with stereotyped roles, I changed the words. But somewhere along the line, I missed the boat. I should've taught them to value keeping a house clean while I was teaching them to reach for the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment