Saturday, October 6, 2012

You Can Pass the Buck, But I've Got Nowhere to Stow it

Last night, I dreamed I was standing naked in front of a class, teaching, when the principal came in to observe. For some reason, I didn’t feel self-conscious about what the students would think (let’s face it, to them I’m so old that there’s no titillation factor), but I did obsess about how the principal would take it.

My husband says dreams about appearing naked in public are really about feeling vulnerable, and that makes sense. Because, after an administrative reign that has seen 1/3 of the staff over-turned for newer models, things are still not quite good enough. So now, the administration has given us the Herculean task of finding all new ways of teaching – not our classes – but each of the 125 – 200 students in our total student load. Yes, every class from the lowest level to the highest needs an overhaul to prove that we are worthy of continued employment.

How, we ask, can we overcome deficits that have been 14 or more years in the making? That’s being left up to us, because the administration “doesn’t want to stifle our creativity.” In other words, like us, they have already tried every idea in their arsenal, but unlike us, they have somewhere to pass the buck.

But somewhere, in the inner recesses of my mind, I’m fully aware that I’ve got nothing left. Not even a stitch of clothes, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment